How To install ROMs, Updates on Xiaomi devices [3 Ways]
Have you just download the appropriate ROM for your phone from Xiaomi, Redmi, or Poco? Most likely, then, you will now need to know how to install the official ROM, or even the new update on your phone. Now, there are three methods that you will be able to use to restore your phone to the original phone system, or factory mode and this method depends entirely on the type of ROM, or the current phone situation. In the event that your phone works without any current problems in the system and you just want to update to the latest system, then you will perform the usual method that the phone provides you from within the settings themselves, and this is the first method.
As for the second method, it is also completely official, but by means of a special tool for flashing the official Xiaomi or Redmi ROM called Mi Flash Tool, which is completely official and programmed by the company’s official programmers, and you will need it if your phone is facing any problem so that it is not working in any system now, or facing some Usual system errors like stuck on Mi logo, frequent reboot issue before entering the system, black screen issue, etc. However, unlike the first method, it requires you to have the official Fastboot system for your phone (with the TGZ extension instead of the usual ZIP) and you can download it from XiaomiFirmwareUpdater.
As for the last method, which I advise You not try it to unless the previous two methods did not work, which is the installation of the official ROM for the phone via the modified recovery, or you want to try installing a MIUI ROM directed to the Chinese user, for example. In our case here it will be TWRP recovery and we will also explain in detail how to use it to restore the phone system again.
- The official ROM for your phone from Xiaomi, Redmi or Poco.
- Before making any steps, you must charge the phone battery to at least 60%.
- Make a backup copy of the contents of the phone's internal memory, to protect it from anything wrong.
- Mi Flash Tool - In case you have a Fastboot version of your official phone system.
- Download the Mi USB Driver for your Xiaomi phone (especially the second installation method by Mi Flash).
- Move the official MIUI firmware file with the Zip extension to the phone's internal memory (outside any folders).
Install the official MIUI system (from within Settings)
- Download the update file from the link attached above, then transfer the official update file to the internal phone memory.
- Head to the Settings app > About phone > System updates. Now by clicking on the three-dotted menu at the top, choose "Select Update Package".
- Or you can just skip the last step by launching the Updater app which you will find under the system apps on your phone.
- From here, head to the update file that you moved to the internal memory in the first step, then the system will directly decrypt the update file and then install it automatically.
Install official Xiaomi firmware with Mi Flash Tool
Installing MIUI with Mi Flash will restore the phone to factory settings. This means that all the contents of the phone storage will be erased, including all application data, photos, videos, and contacts. So first make sure that you backup your phone before you start executing the following instructions.
- Download the appropriate MIUI Global TGZ ROM for your phone, then extract its contents using 7Zip.
- Also download Mi Flash Tool from above, then also install it on your computer.
- Once the tool is installed on your computer, run it. Then restart your phone into Fastboot mode. To do this turn off your phone completely. Then press and hold the Volume Down + Power button at the same time until you see the green FASTBOOT logo on the phone screen.
- Now connect the phone to the computer using a USB cable (preferably the original cable) and then press the "Refresh" button on the Mi Flash Tool. The gadget should now recognize your phone and appear inside it.
- Now press the "Select" button on the Mi Flash tool and choose the MIUI Global ROM contents folder from the first step.
- In the flash tool from the bottom, choose Save User Data in case you do not want to lose the contents of the phone memory if you unlocked the bootloader some time ago. You can also choose the Clean all and lock option in case you want to unlock the bootloader again (in case you have unlocked it before). As for the Clean all option, it will completely format the phone while keeping the bootloader open.
- And when you have finished the previous step, now press the "Flash" button and wait for the MIUI system installation process to be completed on your Xiaomi or Redmi phone. The update installation process should take a maximum of 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once the update is complete, you should see Success on the Flash Tool once the phone automatically reboots into the official MIUI system.
Install Xiaomi & Redmi updates from TWRP recovery
Note: If your Xiaomi/Redmi smartphone still has the official recovery, or you don't know how to install a custom recovery on the phone, Then, you can head to the first lesson: TWRP recovery for Android | Detailed explanation and complete guide, install it and then come back here again. But before anything else, do all of the following carefully:
- You must make sure that your phone has an unlocked Bootloader. In the event that your phone’s bootloader is still locked by default, then you can head over to the lesson: How to Unlock Bootloader on Xiaomi/Redmi phones and then come back here again to complete the steps.
- You will also need to download and install the necessary ADB/Fastboot tools on your Windows desktop. In our descriptions we usually refer to them as C:/ Program Files/ adb, C: adb, or C:/ Program Files/ Minimal ADB and Fastboot (depending on which version you will choose) and this is where the folder for ADB definitions you will need while executing the installation instructions below is located.
- You will also need to download and install a custom TWRP recovery for your phone version.
Important Note: If you choose to install ROM directed for the Chinese market, you should know that all these versions come without the usual official Google services like Play Store, Maps, Gmail, etc. Thus, you will of course need to install these services "separately" during the official ROM installation process. So, you can get the appropriate Google services for your phone version either with GApps or BiTGApps (Android 10 / ARM64).
Steps to install the official MIUI firmware using TWRP recovery
- Download the appropriate ROM version for your phone via the links attached to the download section above.
- Connect your Redmi/Xiaomi phone to your desktop device using a USB cable (original cable is preferred).
- Transfer the ROM file as well as the GApps or BiTGApps package to your phone's internal or external storage.
- Disconnect the phone from the USB cable and then turn it off completely.
- Press and hold the Volume Up + Power buttons simultaneously for several seconds until the phone boots into TWRP recovery mode.
- In the main TWRP recovery menu, go to the 'Wipe' option and then swipe on the 'Swipe to Factory Reset' button at the bottom to restore the phone to the factory setting. You should know that this step is necessary in case your phone is running a custom ROM or previous MIUI Global ROM. In the event that the phone is running the MIUI ROM Chinese beta version (the older version of the same ROM we are talking about in today’s lesson), then you can skip this step and keep all the phone files.
- Once you complete the formatting step, go back to the main recovery interface.
- Head to the 'Install' option.
- Now browse the phone memory files for the MIUI ROM ZIP file that you moved to the phone memory in the previous steps.
- Did you choose the ROM, now click on 'Add more ZIPs' option below and then choose the GApps Zip or BiTGApps package.
After the process of flashing the new system is completed, you will notice that the 'Reboot System' button appears - press it to restart the phone within the system. And when the phone boots into the system again, you will find that it is now running MIUI just like before. Therefore, you can now start the steps of setting up the new system on the phone for the first time as it suits you.